Monday, April 4, 2016

My Discussion Leading Experieince

Meeting with local people who were so willing to share their interest in climate change was a fantastic experience. Heading into the discussion, I felt well prepared to bring what we learned in class to a discussion with people who may or may not have the breadth of knowledge that students in this class might have. We have learned a lot over the course of this semester and it was refreshing to be able to apply that knowledge to a thoughtful discussion about climate change. My table was quite diverse. We had a woman form Japan, a student from Vietnam, three current or retired professors from Kalamazoo College, and a master gardener. Each person brought their own unique take on climate change and they were all very much willing to participate fully. One of the key points that was brought up was that none of us really talked about climate change in our own social groups. This discussion lead to questioning why that might be and possible ways to work talk of climate change into conversations in a way that wasn't abrasive or standoffish. In reflection, this experience was something that I never thought I would be doing and I am glad that I participated for that reason. Even if it was in a small way, it feels as if we were able to make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment