Monday, January 11, 2016


Hello! I am Blair LaCross, a third year mechanical engineering major at Western Michigan University. Coming out of high school, I chose to study engineering because I loved the way in which technology rapidly shapes our world. I am from Alpena, Michigan, a small touristy town in the North-Eastern corner of the state. Thunder Bay, the shoreline that Alpena sits on, is home to the highest concentration of freshwater shipwrecks in the world!

I grew up in a family that loves all things outdoors. Hiking, camping, skiing, bird watching (this one is not my favorite), are all pastimes I grew up with. Along with these, I have spent a great deal of time playing sports like basketball and soccer.

Since I have started college, I have discovered that I am really passionate about astronomy, particularly astro physics and the extremes that our universe is home to (Bill Nye and Neil deGrasse Tyson are personal heroes of mine).

Along with this I am also interested in the environment and climate change which is mostly why I chose to take this course. I hope to spend a great semester with you guys as we learn more about the effects that climate change will present for us and generations to follow!

6 comments:

  1. I have actually been to Thunder Bay, however I was pretty young and don't remember much besides the general fact of all the shipwrecks. I believe my parents may have gone scuba diving around them. Also, I grew up playing basketball as well, ending unfortunately when I stopped growing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems like we have a lot in common with this physics and engineering fascination. Bill Nye and Neil deGrasse Tyson are pretty cool. If you haven't seen Vsauce on Youtube, I would highly recommend it because the videos are some of the most interesting that I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the second time somebody has recommended Vsauce to me. I'll have to check it out! Thanks for the recommendation.

      Delete
  3. I enjoy hiking, camping, and skiing as well. I also like biking as long as there is a flat trail to follow (hills are not my favorite things). I also hope to learn more about the effects of climate change in this class, as I haven't heard much about it in the past few years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I'm surprised to find another Mechanical Engineering major in such a small class, although you are a year ahead of me. I also enjoy camping; some of my best childhood memories are of camping with my cousins and going on long bike rides thorough the woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more! I always loved going on big family camping trips growing up. There's something unique about spending the night in a tent.

      Delete